This recipe makes 8 servings.
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (I use Berio brand)
- 2 medium onions — chopped
- 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes (I use Flora Brand)
- 1 can pitted black olives (I use Wegman’s Brand)
- 1 can green olives (I use Wegman’s Brand)
- 3 tablespoons capers, well rinsed
- 3 tablespoons anchovy fillets (about 10 fillets)
- Salt, ground black pepper, crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 pound penne pasta (I use DeCecco Brand)
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they are soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add the anchovies and cook them until they melt completely.
- Add the olives and the capers, and cook for another 15 minutes at medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes (previously mashed in a food processor) and simmer for about 40 minutes — till the sauce thickens and is slightly reduced.
- Adjust seasoning, to taste, cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil, add a couple of large pinches of coarse salt, and add the pasta. Keep stirring from time to time. Let the pasta cook for 1 minute less than time suggested on the package, and then drain the water.
- Add the sauce and penne pasta to a large pan and toss for a couple of minutes on high heat.