Thank you for your interest in working at Global Connections, one of the nation’s largest community non-profits committed to fostering intercultural understanding. Our dedicated and hardworking team works to provide essential support for internationals, offer rich cultural sharing and learning opportunities to local American residents, and foster meaningful relationships between people from different cultures. Looking to make a difference? Join Global Connections!
We are looking for an enthusiastic and energetic event coordinator to produce memorable events and provide outstanding experiences for both volunteers and participants. If you have a passion for event planning, enjoy working with people from all over the world and have related experience, please consider applying for this position in Global Connections.
Event coordinator responsibilities include producing events and special projects from planning to completion, managing all project delivery elements within time, and ensuring that Global Connections and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive image.
Please refer to the job description below for specific responsibilities and requirements. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, a copy of resume including the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references to the search committee at email@example.com. For inquiries, call (814) 867-4223.
Event Coordinator — Full-time, reporting directly to the Executive Director of Global Connections.
The Event Coordinator is responsible for the planning and execution of all GC major events and special projects, coordinating 1-2 on-going programs and related services to support the function and mission of Global Connections. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Organize facilities and manage all event details such as catering, entertainment, transportation, location, equipment, invitee list, special guests etc.
- Recruit, motivate, and supervise volunteers; specify volunteer requirements and coordinate their activities; work closely with volunteers to ensure an engaging and satisfying experience for them.
- Assist in procuring event-specific donations or sponsorships, ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health, and safety obligations.
- Design and develop event marketing materials, collaborate with the Executive Director and Social Media staff to promote and publicize events.
- Stay engaged with the potential pool of volunteers by coordinating 1-2 ongoing programs.
- Conduct program/event evaluations and report on outcomes.
- Provide administrative assistance to the GC office to ensure the organization’s continual functioning.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in event management or related field, 1-3 years of relevant experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Great listening skills with an open mind for different perspectives and suggestions, strong cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively with diverse individuals/groups to build positive relationships
- Committed to teamwork and a collaborative team environment
- Excellent time management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Detail-oriented and committed to quality programs
- Demonstrated ability to plan and successfully execute events
- Experience and knowledge about ACCESS and WordPress preferred
Generally 9:00am – 5:00pm, but requires some flexibility, with occasional weekend and evening hours. Separate from but affiliated with Penn State University, the Global Connections Office is located on the University Park campus of the University.
- Compensation commensurate with background and experience.
- No traditional benefits included
June 20, 2017 or until the position is filled.
To receive full consideration, please send a cover letter , a copy of resume including the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references to the search committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. For inquiries, call (814) 867-4223.
If you are looking for an internship that will help you grow skills in leadership, communication, problem solving, and execution in a multicultural environment, then Global Connections is the right place for you. We accept interns throughout the year.
Here you will learn what it is like to work in a volunteer-driven human services non-profit organization—recruiting and engaging volunteers, planning for events, and executing programs. Moreover, you will gain understanding of the specific needs of the international community and the challenges/rewards of engaging people in an intercultural context.
What you can learn from an internship at Global Connections
- Recruiting and supervising volunteers,
- Planning and executing events,
- Evaluating program/event outcomes,
- Promoting and advocating for the organization and its services,
- Communication skills in outreach, fundraising, and donation solicitation, and
- Technical skills including using email marketing tools, social media, website, and database as well as publication tools for producing professionally-looking marketing materials.
What are we looking for in an intern?
- Excellent listening skills, open-minded, and interested in learning,
- Critical thinking skills,
- Taking initiatives in solving problems,
- Being able to giving and receiving constructive feedback, and
- Strong cultural sensitivity, enjoy working with people from diverse background, even when they do not speak perfect English!
Interested? Please contact the Executive Director, Sharon Shen at email@example.com.
Global Connections is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to excellence.
We strongly encourage all qualified individuals to apply.